We represent a variety of telecommunications providers, including wireless and cable providers, electric and gas utilities, natural gas pipelines, independent power producers, electric transmission companies, developers and owners of wind power and other renewable energy sources, and commercial and industrial consumers of the products and services of these energy producers.
BrownWinick attorneys provide an array of administrative law services in the regulatory proceedings of the Iowa Utilities Board and its regulatory counterparts in several other Midwestern states, as well as before FERC, and state and federal courts. These might include various filings, hearings, rulemakings, other agency actions and appeals. We have provided commercial and industrial clients with strategic counsel, energy contract negotiation and development, and full intervention services in rate and service proceedings before state public utility commissions.
Mediacom v. City of Iowa City, et. al.
Obtained summary judgment in Federal District Court for the Southern District of Iowa for our client the City of Iowa City. The plaintiff alleged that Iowa City violated the Federal Telecommunications Act by allowing a competitor to construct a multi-use infrastructure for phone, internet and cable television services in the City without requiring the competitor to obtain a cable franchise under state and local law. The competitor, however, was not providing cable television services, just phone and internet. The court found it undisputed that the competitor was only providing “telecommunications services” and that “telecommunications services” are not subject to local franchising authorities, noting that although the competitor may become capable of delivering cable programming in the future, it was not now delivering said programming and therefore not presently required to seek a cable franchise.
Sprint Communications Company v. Iowa Utilities Board
Polk County District Court
Defended telecommunications company in a successful challenge to an administrative order denying numbering resources for internet service provider telephone numbers.
* Past results are reported to provide the reader with an indication of the type of litigation in which we practice and do not and should not be construed to create an expectation of result in any other case as all cases are dependent upon their own unique fact situation and applicable law.
- Business & Corporate Law
- Corporate Finance & Securities Law
- Executive Compensation
- Growth Capital
- International Business Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Planned Giving
- Private Equity
- Public Companies & Governance
- Public Sector Finance & Transactions
- Taxation Law
- Employment & Labor
- Estate Planning
- Government & Regulatory
- Intellectual Property
Real Estate, Construction & Environmental
- 1031 Exchanges
- Construction Projects & Contracts
- Eminent Domain
- Environmental Matters
- Land Use, Planning & Zoning
- Leasing & Property Management
- Property Tax Management, Appeals & Disputes
- Real Estate & Construction Disputes
- Real Estate Acquisitions & Dispositions
- Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Investment
- Business Transactions
- Energy & Natural Resource
- Financial Services
- Food & Agribusiness
- Health Care