Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, 1800 50th Street, West Des Moines, Iowa
2016 EMPLOYMENT LAW SEMINAR
SCROLL DOWN FOR REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Free / Open to the Public
Registration: 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Seminar: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (lunch provided - 12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.)
Sheraton West Des Moines
1800 50th Street, West Des Moines
8:30 a.m. - 9:000 a.m.
9:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m.
9:15 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
- Case Law Update / Presenters: Molly T. Driscoll and Corrin N. Hatala
- A review of recent decisions and opinions of courts and administrative agencies on employment-related matters.
9:45 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- Protecting Trade Secrets and Your Bottom Line: A Compliance Guide for the Defend Trade Secrets Act / Presenter: James W. White
- The recent enactment of the Defend Trade Secret Act impacts virtually every employer. This brief presentation will provide a background on the act and discuss the benefits to employers. It will also provide practical guidance on how to enjoy all the benefits of the recent legislation by updating employment agreements in order to comply with the Act's strict whistleblower protection rules.
10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- New FLSA Regulations Regarding White Collar Workers / Presenter: Melissa Wright, U.S. Department of Labor
- On May 18, 2016, the Department of Labor's final rule updating the overtime regulations was published. These regulations were changed in response to a Presidential Memorandum signed by the President in 2014 directing the DOL to update the regulations defining which "white collar" workers are protected by the minimum wage and overtime standards of the FLSA. It is expected that these changes will automatically extend overtime pay protections to more than 4 million workers within the first year of implementation.
10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. / BREAK
10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Harassment and Retaliation Developments and Solutions / Presenter: Elizabeth A. Coonan
- Exam new EEOC task force report on harassment
- Discuss best practices for implementing guidance
- Examine the status of retaliation claims in Iowa and nationwide
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Lessons Learned from the 2016 ACA Reporting Season / Presenters: Alice E. Helle and Cynthia Boyle Lande
- The presentation will review the coverage and reporting requirements under the Affordable Care Act, describe issues employers encountered during the 2016 reporting season and identify steps that employers should take in preparation for the 2017 reporting season.
12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. / LUNCH
12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m.
- Roundtable Discussion: New Employment Regulations / Presenters: Employment Law Practice Group
- Comprehensive review of new employment regulations
- Examination of compliance measures
- Discussion of practical implementation strategies
1:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Top Five OSHA Changes in 2016 / Presenter: Brent D. Soderstrum
- OSHA Penalties
- SILCA Rules
- Recordkeeping Changes
- Safety and Health Management Guidelines
2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. / BREAK
2:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
- When Employees Go Rogue: What to Do When Your Employees Become Competitors (and How to Prevent Them from Trying) / Presenter: Amanda G. Jansen
- This presentation will address the drafting, application, and enforcement of post-employment (and during-employment) restrictive covenants, including confidentiality agreements, non-solicitation clauses, and non-competition agreements. Attendees will be refreshed on why we have restrictive covenants, how to draft them to protect employers' goodwill and intellectual property, and what to do in the event they need to enforce them.
2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. / QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION
THERE IS NO FEE FOR THIS SEMINAR
CLE credit (State and Federal) / APPROVED
HR Certification / APPROVED
Valid for PDCs for SHRM-CPSM and SHRM-SCPSM